My Travel Tracker doesn't track or is inaccurate. What's wrong?

There are various reasons why your Travel Tracker could be inaccurate or not tracking at all. This article provides tips to fix this.

In this article

Tips on how to improve accuracy

  • Please make sure you have updated to the latest version of the app
  • Having cellular reception increases accuracy
  • Turning on your WiFi (you don't need to be connected to a WiFi) connection also improves accuracy 
  • When you're indoors, move to a window
  • Try to have your battery level is above 20% 
  • For iPhones - Do not use the 'Do not disturb' mode 
  • For Android phones
    • Don't use the Android option to save battery
    • Deselect the Polarsteps app at the 'Optimize battery usage' section

Side note: These tips help  improve the quality of tracking, however, they are not required to make the Travel Tracker work! For example, your route will also be tracked if you have WiFi turned off, however, it can be less accurate.

What to do when Polarsteps isn't tracking at all

iPhone

  1. Please make sure you have updated to the latest version of the app! 
  2. Turn the phone off/on
  3. Turn location services off/on in your phone Settings > Privacy > Location services
  4. Make sure the Polarsteps app has Location accessCheck at "Settings" > Polarsteps > "Location" > "Always"
  5. Check if other apps can determine your location (e.g. Google Maps)If other apps have an issue with finding you, then maybe it's an issue with your device.
  6. Make sure you are not logged in on multiple devices at the same timeCheck out our article on this here.
  7. If none of the solutions above work, you could try to fully reinstall the app. To be sure that none of your data is lost, please make sure to perform a successful synchronization before you re-install. You can initiate synchronization by going into your settings in the app and clicking the "Sync now" button.

Android

  1. Please make sure you have updated to the latest version of the app! 
  2. Turn the phone off/on
  3. Turn GPS off/on
  4. Make sure the Polarsteps app has Location access Check at "Settings" > "Apps" > Polarsteps > "Permissions" > "Toggle permission ON".
  5. Disable the "battery saver" setting in your general Android settingsYou don't need to worry about Polarsteps draining your battery. Read more on this here: Will my battery survive the day?
  6. Switch your Travel Tracker mode to "High Accuracy" within your Trip Settings This tracking mode is more accurate - read more on this under 'How does Polarsteps determine my location?'
  7. Check if other apps can determine your location (e.g. Google Maps)

    If other apps have an issue with finding you, then maybe it's an issue with your device.

  8. Make sure you are not logged in on multiple devices

    See our article on this here.

  9. If none of the solutions above work, you could try to fully reinstall the app. To be sure that none of your data is lost, please make sure to perform a successful synchronization before you re-install. You can initiate synchronization by going into your settings and pressing the "Sync now" button.
Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.